Thursday, February 16, 2012

First Things First

I've always been the type of person who lives by a to-do list. There is great satisfaction for me in checking items off - and yes, if I have completed something not on the list originally I do go back and add it in so that I can check it off! So, before I get on that plane to the Middle East on Sunday I needed to share with you my quick observations on my time spent at Christ Congregational Church in Silver Spring, Maryland. Look for a more detailed observation when I get back in April.

It's Wonderful When a Church Staff Comes Together: CCC has a pastoral staff that consists of a Senior Minister, a 5/8 time associate that handles pastoral care and senior ministries, a 1/2 time children's minister and a 35 hours/week minister of music. Plus, there are two office staff workers and four part time custodians who keep the nuts and bolts of the ship in place. And they are wonderful! They support each other and keep the mission of the church, "Transformation", always at the forefront.

A Good Calendar Is Important: CCC has about four times the physical space available, and programs tend to fill the space. Keeping it straight is a monumentally important task, and requires a weekly staff meeting to better ease communication.

Pay Attention to Youth Ministry: More about this in my report.

Nametags: In a church with 670 members, most people attend church with other members that they've never met. Nametags are strictly enforced here, and it really helps people get to know each other.

ONA Identity: As one of the first ONA churches, CCC is a vocal advocate for marriage equality in the state of Maryland. But they are also pastoral in their approach, ministering to those families with children who are at the heart of the debate. The rainbow flags at both entrances, and the rainbow candle that is lit during worship, are beacons of hope to same gender loving couples who are struggling at this time.

Once again, let me say that I am so thankful to the staff and members of Christ Congregational Church in welcoming me for the week. It was good to be in another region of the US, studying one example of a sister church in the United Church of Christ.