Sunday, February 19, 2012

Arrival!

It's late at night and I have awoken in the middle of the night feeling like I should be up. Guess my body has other plans. I'm having a hard time believing that I am here. The five people who are taking the course are very easy to be with. There's Richard, an Anglican Bishop from South London; Robbie, a Scottish Presbyterian Minister from just outside Glascow; Sheryl, a nurse from Connecticut; Jay, a UCC intentional interim who is serving the church where I was raised (North Madison Congregational.... could there be a smaller world?). How wonderful it has been to make new friends so quickly!


By some amazing, angelic gift I have been given a double room all to myself, complete with newly renovated bathroom and a stone balcony that looks out to the biblical garden. It is so nice and completely unexpected to have the space to myself to reflect and pray in solitude.

A new thing for me is that St. George's College is an Anglican institution, and our leaders use (what is for me) a high church liturgy. A daily Eucharist, with wafers and common cup, is shared at 7am every morning in the large cathedral's chapel. At 6, we gather for evening worship. Tonight we were asked by the Bishop to read the Psalms of Ascension (116-132) and chose one that speaks to us right now.

I have chosen 130 because it is a psalm that is all about waiting for the promises of God. Maybe that is the condition of my heart right in this moment because it has felt like there has been so much that we have been waiting for with faithful hearts. There have been things I've been waiting for, and I know there have been things you are waiting for. God is with us when we wait, even when we feel the most alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment