Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Love is from God - A Valentine

Love is from God. Everyone Who Loves is Born of God. (John 4:7)

Happy Valentine's Day! I'm here in chilly Silver Springs about to pack up my stuff for the week and head for home. Grateful to my friends Matt and Chris and their wonderful kids for hosting me for a week, and also really thankful for the conversations I've had with his church's staff and members. They've been open and honest with me about the joys and limitations of a larger church, and I've been happy to share with them some of my impressions as a visitor.

I realized something really important this week. As an Open & Affirming church, Christ Congregational Church has an active and thriving ministry around LGBTQ justice issues. Last night, about a dozen of us went to Annapolis to speak with state representatives in anticipation of a Marriage Equality vote that will happen sometime this week. I was inspired to hear Heather Miseur, one of the representatives at the heart of the debate, tell a roomful of her constituents about her journey as a devout Catholic and lesbian. I heard others talk about how difficult it was to be in the middle of this to have their families voted on. I also heard how they were loving the folks who were uncomfortable into a new reality and their hope that the tide was turning.

I also did a little self reflection. Because, in order to make this trip fit into what I've wanted to do on this sabbatical, I chose to be away from my husband on Valentine's day. Yes, it's a little bit of a Hallmark holiday. But Clark is a pretty romantic guy. There are so many couples in this country who do not have the basic rights and privileges of marriage that I enjoy, and here I am ditching him for my own personal and professional agenda. Not cool. So I'm leaving soon to come home a day early, on Valentine's Day, to surprise him. I think he will be happy to see me, because after 20 years together a person just knows.

Prayers today for all who love, for those who want to be loved, and those who are too scared to love. God bless.