Saturday, February 18, 2012

Nervous Anticipation

At this time tomorrow we will be loading the car to take me to Newark airport so that I can catch the flight to Tel Aviv. Just about everything on my to-do list has been completed. I've read up on the Palestinian-Israeli conflict and peace process, written down the time change on the family whiteboard, and found a electrical converter so that I can recharge my camera (thanks to Frank!).

I'm so ready.

For me, this trip is about breaking up stale patterns. Travelling alone overseas by myself (let alone for 17 days) is just not something I am used to. When I travel to another country, I'm more accustomed to running at breakneck speed through the Mexico City airport with about a dozen members of my church (those of you who have been to Oaxaca know what I'm talking about!). There's strength in numbers, right?

But it's also about deepening my faith by travelling to place Jesus walked, the land from which the early Christian church was born. Israel-Palestine is a place that holds ancient customs tight to the chest. A land where a person's identity is bound to their sense of religion and tribe. Where monks fight with brooms over who gets to clean a particular holy place, and peace activists work towards a fair and equitable distribution of precious resources. And although we have been provided a list of where we will be and what we will be talking about on each day, I can't help but wonder about the adventure.

As my 18 yo daughter's econ teacher said: "Gee, I hope war doesn't break out when your mom is there!" Yea, me too. Not because I will be there, but because like millions of others I pray for peace and hope for an end to these ancient conflicts. I will do my best to post my impressions here, so that you may see and hear a bit of what I encounter. And I deeply appreciate the prayers of my community members at the Monroe Congregational Church who have supported me on this journey. Shalom, Salaam & Peace!